Monday, October 31, 2011

Vintage 8 Point Star Motif Pattern and Wisdom



Years ago my mom found an awesome old crochet patterns book for me at a resale shop. It was from 1946 and some of the things in it are just awesome. It has everything from sweaters, gloves, hats, baby things, bedspreads, edgings and of course many, many doily patterns. I love it because all of the patterns are authentically vintage.
  Another reason I love this book is for the chapter introductions. It was written for homemakers and it is full of wisdom and inspiration for making a house a home. It was written in a time where women took much pride in filling and making their homes lovely and homey with things that they had made.
 Here is the introduction to the Dress-for-Dinner Tablecloths chapter, where the following pattern is taken from:

  "The dinner hour is one of the most pleasant interludes of the day. Work done, problems temporarily forgotten, the family gathered in a circle...it's an hour for sociability and relaxation, for hearing the day's news and telling it...for sharing fun and making plans...and hour which plays an important part in strengthening the ties of affection and friendship that weld a family into a close-knit corporation.
  It deserves the most attractive setting you can give it. There's no excuse for a nondescript looking table--inexpensive dishes come in so many pretty colorful patterns. Make a habit of arranging the table as attractively as possible, bright silver at each setting, a pretty cloth, a gay centerpiece--a bowl of fruit, and amusing pair of pottery figures...bright decorations lend a festive note to the dinner table.
  Naturally when you have guests for dinner you want your table to look its best...your best crystal, sparkling silver, flowers...and one of your loveliest, laciest, dressed-for-dinner cloths...take you choice of the eight beauties in this chapter, making a handsome background for a table that looks "just like a picture". "

 The pattern I have shared today is one of my favorites. I haven't made a tablecloth from it yet, but who knows, maybe one day I will. I love the motifs and use them for mini-doilies and coasters. They work up very quickly and not much skill or experience in crochet is needed to make them. Enjoy and please let me know if you download the pattern.

3 comments:

  1. I downloaded the pattern this morning. I hadn't crocheted in quite a while and have been thinking on pulling it back out again. Maybe this pattern will give me the jump start I need to get back into my crocheting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs Stacie, I hope the pattern will give you the jumpstart you need :) It is really quick and you can almost make it in one sitting.
    Thanks for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca, What an insight into that time period, just after the war. wow! to think that was somewhat the norm then. I would love to have a week to live in those days my parents raised up a family!. I was born 6 years later :) Blessings to you, friend :)

    ReplyDelete