Thursday, July 21, 2011

Help! I’m out of fabric softener!

That is never a pleasant realization, especially on laundry day. It’s even worse if laundry day falls before grocery day. I don’t especially like having to drop everything that I’m doing and make a run to the store.
My mom has used plain white vinegar before for fabric softener. In fact, that is what she uses for fabric softener on cloth diapers. So that will work in a pinch, though the only drawback is that your laundry doesn’t smell as sweet and there is a slight fragrance of vinegar left on the wash.
I wanted to share what one of my friends shared with me. She has begun mixing up her own fabric softener and loves it and has started using it all the time instead of buying fabric softener. She said that the conditioner hides any traces of vinegar scent.
Here’s the recipe:

Homemade Fabric Softener
6 cups hot water
2cups hair conditioner (any kind)
  3 cups white vinegar
Mix well.  Makes a little over 1/2gallon. Use approx. 2T per wash.

No comments:

Post a Comment